02 December 2010

Evolving Thoughts

For a more philosophical take on science, and leaning to biology rather than climate for examples, you should take a look at John Wilkins' Evolving Thoughts.  John's a philosopher of science.  We've known each other electronically for about 20 years.

Some posts which struck me at the time to save for later:
Sausages and science (the practice of science isn't as pretty as I tend to paint)
It was 150 years ago tomorrow on the 150th anniversary of the publication of Darwn's Origin.
Lazy Manager Theory (ok, aimed a bit older than I usually try, but having encountered managers, and now being one, sort of, I like this.)
Science eats its seed corn (I blog about the ideals of science; the realities are seldom as nice.)
Jorge Cham is following me (PhDcomics.com) Looks pretty much like my time line, though 350 messages in my in-box says 'weekend' more than 'vacation'.
Apes and evolution in the news
Linnaeus: The founder of databases
A code of conduct for effective rational discussion
Plagiarism, citations, and fact checking
John's own list of his better posts in 2009

 talkorigins.org (not his blog, but a site that he helps administer; it was by way of the newsgroup talk.origins that we met)

Note that here down are at his old blogging locale, you want the above for his current site and material:

What is the 'humanities'?
Early Modern Philosophy Texts for Students
Again, uncannily accurate -- actually a link to an excellent cartoon by Jorge Cham at www.phdcomics.com
How to learn about science

5 comments:

John S. Wilkins said...

I'm chuiffed for the recommendation, Bob.

Robert Grumbine said...

Hope you got my email about your handbook for scientists.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered adding http://blogs.chron.com/climateabyss/ to your climate blogroll?

(there was another new blog I saw recently, but, alas, I can't remember anything that will help me find it again)

-M

Hank Roberts said...

Amen, wonderful site, good pointer. Thanks to John Wilkins from a longtime reader.

jyyh said...

Thanks for the pointer, bookmarked.